• Gas safety questions relating to mobile homes

    Sometimes be a little confusing to the gas user.

    Mobile Homes Gas Safety Questions

    Below are just a few questions we get asked.

    Question one:

    Do I need to have a gas safety inspection on my mobile home every year?

    This all depends on the park your mobile home is located in.

    Most mobile home parks now require you to have a gas safety inspection carried out every 12 months.

    The main reason behind this is safety, not just for you but for the other mobile homes users sited close to yours.

    Another reason is many parks insurance companies now require this as part of their insurance cover.

    It may also be a requirement of your mobile home insurance, so check your policy, if unsure, speak to your insurance company.

    It’s always good to have an annual inspection just for peace of mind.

    Question 2: 

    I only use my mobile home for four weeks a year, the rest of the year it stands empty so do I still need a gas safety inspection?

    All the more reason to have an inspection carried out, when an appliance is not used regularly it could become dangerous.

    If the appliance is let’s say a water heater, the flue pipe could become blocked with leaves and such.

    Which when operating could leak products of combustion into the room.

    Products of combustion otherwise known as carbon monoxide.

    As we all know, It is a silent killer, you cannot see it or even smell it.

    The same applies to any gas fires installed in the mobile home these also have a flue that removes the products of combustion.

    The on and off taps on cookers and hobs tend to get stuck and can sometimes leak gas if trying to force the tap on.

    Grease within the taps tends to dry out if not used every day.

    Question 3:

    Why do I need all those ventilation grills that are fitted everywhere?

    Can I not just block them off as the wind blow through them?

    Whatever you do, never block off any ventilation grills, they are classed as a working part of the gas appliances.

    I’ll explain, let’s take the water heater for an example. 

    Most LPG water heaters fitted in mobile homes are known as conventional flued appliances.

    This means when the water heater is working, it requires fresh air (Oxegen) to burn correctly, lack of fresh air, the appliance could become dangerous.

    Question 4:

    I have been told I need to change the hoses on my gas bottles every five years, is this true?

    Yes, The hoses that connect to your gas bottles are known as pigtails. 

    Over time they will deteriorate as they are exposed to the elements of the weather.

    They should be inspected to ensure they are not leaking gas and replaced if any cracks or damage are found. 

    They can become brittle over time.

    The changeover valve that the pigtails connect too, should also be inspected and replaced every ten years.

    Both the pigtails and changeover valve have date stamps on them, so it’s easy to determine their age.

    Question 5:

    I have been told that if I rent out my mobile home I need to have a landlords safety inspection carried out even if it’s for one day, is this correct?

    The UK law states that any property rented out, be it a mobile home or your main residents must have a CP12.

    This is known as a (Landlords Gas Safety Inspection) and must be carried out even if it’s rented for one day.

    Question 6:

    I have been told that I cannot install side panels around my mobile home it’s against the law. 

    Why is this because I see loads of other mobile homes with side panels?

    You can fit side panels around your mobile, but you must have ventilation grills fitted to each panel.

    The main reason is if you fit panels with no vents, you could be starving the floor vents of oxygen within your mobile home.

    As stated before these vents are there for a reason, so you can see it’s very important to ensure you fit vents to the side panel.

    Question 7:

    Can I fit my new cooker myself or do I need someone who is gas safe registered to carry out the installation?

    All gas appliances natural gas or LPG must be installed by a registered gas engineer by law.

    If the appliance is LPG, they must be registered to work on LPG. 

    If they are only registered for natural gas they cannot work on LPG.

    There is a myth that you can fit your own LPG appliance yourself because the mobile home is only classed as temporary accommodation.

    Should you carry out any LPG work yourself and something happens you could find yourself in front of a judge.

    Question 8:

    I sometimes smell gas when using my cooker, is this dangerous?

    If you ever smell gas you should isolate the gas supply straight away. 

    It does not matter how small you may think the leak may be.

    LPG is heavier than air and will fall to ground level, this means it could build up behind a kitchen cupboard.

    If you think you can smell gas, Isolate first, then call in a registered gas engineer to locate and fix the leak.

    Mobile home gas safety is all about your SAFETY and the people around you.

    The above questions are just a few of what we get asked about.

    There are many more but that would be another article.

    We hope you found this article helpful in your search for mobile home gas safety questions.

    If you have a question you would like an answer to, use our contact form above to post your question.

    Remember, SAFETY is more important than money, so contact your local LPG gas registered engineer and arrange your gas safety inspection.